It was a hot summer! Too hot to enjoy a carefree afternoon on the open road with your motorcycle. As you prepare your bike for a cooler autumn ride, this is a good time to confirm that you are making the most out of your motorcycle insurance to ensure that your bike remains in road condition. Read these tips to make sure your motorcycle coverage is in your favor:
- Verify that your coverage is current: While this seems obvious, it is a good practice to double-check the expiration date of your policy before starting a period of heavy riding. Keep in mind that some insurers have a depreciation period during changing times in which coverage may be restricted. If you like riding in the cooler months, check with your insurer to see if your policy has the same limitations.
- Keep your policy up-to-date: Inform your insurer about any changes such as additional riders, change of address or purchase of a new bike. A quick call will take care of these examples.
- Covers custom parts and tools: If you have installed chrome plating or have given your bike a custom paint job, chances are that the value of your motorcycle will increase. Be sure to add these upgrades to your policy to ensure full coverage in the event of theft or collision.
- Skip unnecessary coverage: Older bikes may not require as much coverage as you are currently offering. It is recommended that you consider eliminating collision coverage if that premium is equal to ten percent of the market value of your motorcycle. In this case, it may be cheaper to pay for out-of-pocket repairs in the event of an accident than to continue paying monthly collision premiums.
- Pick your deductible: If you are filing a claim, by reducing the maximum amount, your premium will decrease and you can save money every month.
- Check for discounts: Call your independent insurance agent to ask if you are eligible for any discounts that may be available. Remember that prices can vary widely between companies. Your agent can shop for you and review bid comparisons to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- Motorcycle Insurance Specialization: Some insurers specialize in motorcycle insurance. These companies understand your special requirements and offer special coverage designed for motorcycle drivers and their bikes. Ask your independent agent if one of these insurers is a good match for you.
With the appropriate policy in place, you can assure that you and your bike are safe to enjoy those long autumn rides. Visit our website today for free quotes on Oklahoma motorcycle insurance!