Summer’s Here – Are Your ‘Toys’ Protected?

As the weather warms, people everywhere are breaking their favorite summer “toys”, including recreational vehicles (RVs), boats, motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).

Unfortunately, you cannot assume that your part-time vehicles are properly insured under existing auto and / or homeowners insurance policies. And instead of dealing with these substantial investments on only one other policy, it is best to focus on policies specifically designed for each.

RV Insurance

Provides insurance coverage protection for RVs such as travel trailers, motorhomes, fifth wheels and truck campers that do not provide simple auto insurance. Here are some reasons to consider RV insurance in addition to your auto insurance policy:

  • roadside assistance: Even if your auto policy covers some road expenses, it might not leave that big, heavy RV to pay the bill.
  • Financial protection: Insurers offering RV coverage are often representative of claims that know how specific damage to an RV looks, including special RV parts such as awnings, slide-out stairs, and equipment.
  • Personal Property Protection: Your “home away from home” is probably things you won’t keep in your car such as camcorders, laptops, and jewelry that may not be covered under an auto policy.
  • Protect your investment: RVs are expensive! If the vehicle is irreparable rather than reimbursed based on current market value, it is best to do “full replacement cost coverage” to ensure full payment.

Boat insurance

Do not assume that your shiny new boat is covered under your homeowners policy. A boat is, for all intents and purposes, a moving vehicle. For example, you need the same coverage as an auto policy, which includes protection:

  • Physical injury That your boat wreaks havoc on others.
  • property damage Your boat intrudes on the dock and other boats.
  • physical damage For your boat, should you hit something or walk around.

You want to consider comprehensive coverage against theft, vandalism, fire and floods; Personal property coverage for fishing gear and other items; Uninsured boaters insurance (unlicensed motorist insurance) and even “boatside assistance” if you need a tow.

Motorcycle insurance

Motorcycle insurance is essential – and like car insurance, the price may vary depending on the type of bike you ride. In other words, the insurance of high-performance sport bikes is usually higher than that of a low-powered bike, scooter, or moped.

The components of a comprehensive motorcycle policy are also similar to auto coverage, including collision insurance (covering damage to your bike from an accident), comprehensive coverage, bodily injury liability coverage, property damage liability coverage, unlicensed motor insurance, and roadside assistance .